The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Million Women March

An approximate 500,000 women in Washington DC joined women worldwide in a day of protest.

image courtesy of ABC news

image courtesy of ABC news

Meghan Kier, Sextant Editor

The history of America is a history of protest. Political change usually starts with local movements, and on his first day as president, Donald Trump was met with the voices of millions of women protestors from around the world, who joined together in opposition of ideologies that diminish women rights

Women, and a large minority of men, from across generations and races flooded the streets to ensure that their rights not be denied.

Civil rights activists organized the “Women’s March on Washington” to express their dissatisfaction with the election of a man who has been repeatedly accused of sexual harassment.

CNN

Various speakers, including Senator Elizabeth Warren, activist and writer Gloria Steinem, film-maker Michael Moore, actress Scarlett Johannson, Malcolm X’s daughter Roslyn Brock, and dozens more took the stage to deliver a message of peaceful solidarity

One of the organizers, told Reuters. “We cannot allow ourselves to give up, put our heads down and not hold this administration accountable for any violation of human rights or women’s rights.”

“We need to make clear that women will not allow this president to deny or belittle hard-won rights.” Attendee Luanna Meyer stated. “Peaceful demonstration and free speech are two of those rights.”

President Trump has made statements humiliating and insulting female members of the media, his political adversary, and many others by criticizing their physical appearance. During his campaign a video arose in which Trump could be heard bragging about grouping and sexually assaulting women who he found attractive.

Also during Donald Trump’s campaign he stated that women who have abortions should be punished. Trump anti-choice views have prompted women all around the world to stand up and march. While the protest was not aimed solely at the 45th President, many believe that President Trump’s views are reflective of a movement that will undo years of progress.

The Women’s March on Washington was held at The Lincoln Memoria, the site of the famed civil rights march in 1963, when Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech.

The “Million Women March” in DC was not the only organized protest. Women Marches” were held in several states and in over 400 countries, providences, and states around the world. Major cites, such as Tokyo and Chicago; Berlin and Sydney; Capetown and Los Angeles also held large, virtually peaceful rallies.

PHOTO GALLERY:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/photos-from-the-scene-of-the-womens-march-on-washington/2017/01/21/acebc0e4-dfe5-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_gallery.html?utm_term=.ab8cf689b0d5

Total Views: 1218 ,

• Million Women March

NEWS

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

• Million Women March

NEWS

Class Attendance on the Rise

• Million Women March

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

• Million Women March

NEWS

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

• Million Women March

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

• Million Women March

NEWS

A Season of Giving

• Million Women March

Showcase

Poetry Club Fundraiser

• Million Women March

Showcase

Poms Continues its Path to State

• Million Women March

NEWS

Violence Erupts Over Pipeline Crisis in the Plains

• Million Women March

OPINIONS

Overcoming the Trump Dilemma at SHS

Million Women March