The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Rogue One

Rogue One, the newest episode in the Star Wars saga, added new elements to an old story.

Image courtesy of DigitalTrends.com

Image courtesy of DigitalTrends.com

Brady Barbeau, Sextant Reporter

Disney Official Trailer

Disney’s Rogue One allowed viewers to escape from reality and provided “hope” of a brighter future after a rough year that featured a divisive election, strained ties with Russia, and notable deaths in the entertainment world. What better way to bring people together against one common enemy than a journey into the decades old world of Star Wars?

For those uninitiated to Star Wars here’s the rundown: In a galaxy far far away… Two ancient sects (Jedi and Sith) war due, resulting in near eradication of the noble Jedi.  The Sith leader then creates a Galactic Empire, which inspires a rebellion. Rogue One shows the rebellions early days.

Rogue one follows the story of Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones), the daughter of a scientist who developed an infamous weapon called the Death Star.  The huge ship has the ability to obliterate planets. Jyn’s father (Mads Mikkelsen) does not agree with the Empire and its ethics, so he works to sabotage the Death Star. Jyn is unexpectedly swept up in the rebellion and accepts a mission to find her father and get revenge.

Eventually Jyn becomes a true believer in the rebellion and jumps into the fray between the Rebellion and the Empire, spinning the climactic events into place.

The story also brings some great imagery to an old series. Cutting edge CGI not only allowed certain actors to return from the dead, but allows everyone to see the stunning beauty of the Star Wars universe. But even if CGI can now reanimate the dead, many doubt whether studios should do so.

Overall the movie brings a story that is gripping and well made. It lets longtime Star Wars fans drool at the mouth, and hooks audiences new to the series. Overall the Star Wars universe has shown its mettle once again

Total Views: 908 ,

• Rogue One

NEWS

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

• Rogue One

NEWS

Class Attendance on the Rise

• Rogue One

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

• Rogue One

NEWS

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

• Rogue One

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

• Rogue One

NEWS

A Season of Giving

• Rogue One

NEWS

Million Women March

• Rogue One

Showcase

Poetry Club Fundraiser

• Rogue One

Showcase

Poms Continues its Path to State

• Rogue One

NEWS

Violence Erupts Over Pipeline Crisis in the Plains

Rogue One