The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

More Caffeine, More Conversation, and More Gilmore Girls

Netflix has release a four part installment of the hit television show Gilmore Girls.

image courtesy of Netflix

image courtesy of Netflix

Cedric Mathew, Sextant Reporter

Gilmore Girls is back, but this time in movie form. More Rory, more Lorelai, more Emily, more Stars Hallow, more festivals, more laugh-out-loud and fast conversations, and yes- more coffee. If you’re a Gilmore fan like I, then you probably are extremely excited- but is it worth the wait?

This is a unique show, and instead of long scenes with all this action like most shows now, the scenes in the revival are just as long but they are filled with conversation. Like I said, this show is known for their speedy chats, and if you have the attention span the size of a donut, then you’ll probably think the show is just so draggy. It you put all that aside though, you’ll really find that it is very similar to the original show.

The show is about the riches-to-rags-to-riches story about Lorelai Gilmore, her daughter Rory and Rory’s grandma Emily. The only thing that makes this mother-daughter relationship between Rory and Lorelai a little different is that the fact that they are mother and daughter doesn’t make them any less than best friends.

The Netflix revival picks up the story nine years from where they left off, and the town of Stars Hollow has changed quite a bit, but its core townsfolk are still as funny as ever. Their town meetings are full of energy and fun, even with all of Taylor’s banter. Kirk seems to be doing Kirk (with a pig this time), and all seems right with the world.

Seeing the girls back on camera really seems like no time has past. They are still drinking coffee in every open moment, talking about Ben Affleck on a stroll through the town, and traveling to Hartford every Friday for Friday night dinner.

But, that’s the tip of the iceberg for Lorelai, Rory, and Emily. The movies start with Rory being a freelance journalist who can’t really find any money to pay the bills, Lorelai still running the Dragonfly Inn but finally reaching her midlife crisis, and Emily struggling to occupy the empty space in her life made by her husband’s death.

If you’re favorite character is Rory, you’re probably not going to enjoy the episodes that much. Her storyline does have a few uneasy moments, and they

Saeed Adyani/Netflix

don’t really end well. It’s kind of frustrating to see how she deals with all of her problems, and sometimes she just causes even more.

On the other hand, Lorelai and Emily are so sincere. You can just see Lorelai’s confusion and how it all reaches a boiling point. She never really had the time to be lost since she had a child to be raising. She finally gets this chance when her dad dies, and she decides to go out on a limb and do things we could never expect, and it’s extremely touching.

I was confused on how they were going to address Emily’s situation because it was hard to think of Emily without her husband Richard, but the Emily we get starts out feeling empty and she shows us the process of grieving and then how to kick grief in the butt and make success out of it. Her arc was a definite 10/10 for me.

This show is a very unique show, and instead of long scenes with all this action like most shows now, the scenes in the revival are just as long but they are filled with conversation. Like I said, this show is known for their speedy chats, and if you have the attention span the size of a donut, then you’ll probably think the show is just so draggy. It you put all that aside though, you’ll really find that it is very similar to the original show.

Even though Rory has some suck-y moments even though it’s all balanced out by Lorelai and Emily, I think that any Gilmore fan will fall in love with all the cute moments they have. The journey the girls have traveled in the original show was such a tear-jerker, and the revival gives us all those moments but the emotion is multiplied by ten.

If your on the fence about watching this show, I think you should watch it to get some closure. The show’s finale was really open-ended but the show ties up those loose ends very nicely.

And hey-you might finally understand most of the pop culture references.

Total Views: 1279 ,

• More Caffeine, More Conversation, and More Gilmore Girls

NEWS

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

NEWS

Class Attendance on the Rise

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

NEWS

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

NEWS

A Season of Giving

NEWS

Million Women March

Showcase

Poetry Club Fundraiser

Showcase

Poms Continues its Path to State

NEWS

Violence Erupts Over Pipeline Crisis in the Plains