The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

A Season of Giving

The boys' basketball team shops for their adopted family as part of the SHS Adopt-a-Family. Schaumburg High School students and staff provided gifts for members of 19 families and four senior citizens.

Cindy Dvorak

Cindy Dvorak

Tamaia Mallett, Editor-in-Cheif

The season of giving wrapped up, and Schaumburg High School jumped into the spirit like never before.

For years, Schaumburg High School has provided holiday gifts for local families through Adopt-a-Family.  This year, SHS students and staff provided nineteen families and four senior citizens with gifts. Forty-six children received fifty-five lawn bags filled with presents. Eight department, clubs, sports, classes, and individuals participated in shopping, and twelve of “Santa helpers” helped deliver the gifts to be shipped to the township office.

Coach Wade Heitzler encouraged his boys basketball team to pitch in money and time in effort to give back to the community.

“I told the parents in the beginning of the season that the boys could be doing chores around the house in exchange for money to donate for families in need” Mr. Heitzler said. “The shopping trip was a great bonding experience for the boys as well.”

The chemistry classes, taught by Mrs. Finke and Mrs. Bober, adopted senior citizens in honor of Mrs. Bober’s mother, who passed away three years ago. The classes compete in penny wars with graduated cylinders for a week every year.

“Everyone wants to donate to the kids because it’s fun to go shopping for them and the families, but sometimes the older people get forgotten.” Said Mrs. Finke.

The class that donates the most pennies is rewarded with Mrs. Bober’s and Mrs. Finke’s famous brownies. They raise nearly $600 dollars every year and gift the senior citizens with toaster ovens, gift cards to Target or Walmart, tea, towels, or postage stamps.

The thirteenth annual soup lunch is orchestrated by the Family and Consumer Science classes every year and has become an event that students, faculty members, parents, and alumni look forward to.

“Every year at the first institute day of school, I probably get 15 people ask me what is the date of the soup kitchen.” Said Mrs. Frost.

With a $300 grant awarded to them from the Illinois Farm Bureau, the Modern Cuisine classes and Chemistry of Foods classes make soup from fresh ingredients.

All attendees must donate a minimum of five cans to be admitted. And all those cans go to Blessing-in-a-Backpack, which is a food pantry here in Schaumburg High School. Blessing in a Backpack supplies students in need of food for while they are not at school.

“People are sometimes really generous and bring tons (of cans).” Said Mrs. O’Conner.

After planning for the entire year, it takes an entire week to make the soup. The fashion classes decorate with the help of the modern Cuisine class, and the preschool classes make hand made snowflakes out of white paper. In the end, the classroom is completely transformed into a restaurant.

“It’s a headache some days, but it’s really good in the end when everything comes together!” Mrs. Frost said.

Many thanks to all the Schaumburg students, staff, and families who helped to make this possible.  For those who are new to SHS or unaware of this generous tradition, remember to get involved next year.

Total Views: 1046 ,

• A Season of Giving

NEWS

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

• A Season of Giving

NEWS

Class Attendance on the Rise

• A Season of Giving

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

• A Season of Giving

NEWS

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

• A Season of Giving

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

• A Season of Giving

NEWS

Million Women March

• A Season of Giving

Showcase

Poetry Club Fundraiser

• A Season of Giving

Showcase

Poms Continues its Path to State

• A Season of Giving

NEWS

Violence Erupts Over Pipeline Crisis in the Plains

• A Season of Giving

OPINIONS

Overcoming the Trump Dilemma at SHS

A Season of Giving