The student news site of Schaumburg High School

Sextant

Justice System Continues to Fail College Women

The recent Brock Turner case has sparked outrage amongst prospective college students and their parents.

Meghan Kier, Sextant Editor

Santa Clara County Judge Aaron Persky’s decision to sentence Brock Turner, the Standford student convicted of raping an unconscious woman, a mere six months in prison has caused widespread outrage to erupt. Many parties are angered over the decision because it brings to light many more problems in today’s society.

Many people are imprisoned when they do something wrong, whether the charge be for a possession of drugs or homicide. While Turner gets off easy despite the atrocity he committed, the unnamed victim is forced to spend the remainder of her life with the horrific memory drowning out even the happiest of days and making her life a personal prison.

But, the woman would not go unheard. She released a lengthy speech to the court that both vividly described the night of and lasting impact that followed the assault. She inspired victims across the country to speak up, closing her speech with, “To girls everywhere, I am with you. Thank you.” The speech has since been quoted hundreds of thousands of times on social media, many arguing that it’s one of the most powerful pieces of writing our generation has seen.

The feminist argument says, “Men do not understand the reality of sexual assault against women, and we need to make absolutely clear that all forms of this conduct will be punished severely.”

To think that in two short years I will be entering the world of college where the our justice system deems it acceptable to sexually assault women because they are are privileged white males. This really isn’t about Brock Turner. It’s about our justice system. It’s about the safety of not just women, but all individuals.

We should call Turner’s victim a survivor. She spent months being poked, prodded, and interrogated. She recalled the story hundreds of times in detail. Her reward for being courageous and enduring all the poking, prodding, and interrogation? Certainly not the justice she sought. Her attacker got just six months in county jail, three with good behavior.

Statics show that 1 in 4 women are sexually assaulted during their time at college. I could very easily be part of the collegiate statistic. But why is this statistic even in existence? Why are there so many sexual assaults on college campuses? And why do women have to live their lives in fear that someone, someday, might enter their body without asking permission?

“To girls everywhere, I am with you. Thank you.””

— Brock Turner's victim

Of course there isn’t a simple answer to any of my questions; there isn’t one solution to preventing sexual assault. But instead of sharing personal information about the attackers in the media or getting angry at the judge that sentenced them, look at why sexual assault are so prevalent in today’s society. While we’re shattering the innocence of our daughters to educate them about sexual assault, let’s teach our sons to help protect their female peers and to respect women and their bodies. There are strong mandatory sentencing minimums for many drug crimes, how about fighting for mandatory minimum sexual assault sentences? Sadly, we are a culture that must teach our girls to protect our bodies because our justice system isn’t.

That devastating fact not only worries me as a future college student but parents as well. Many parents are fearful of their daughters being sexually assaulted.

One concerned father said “ we are sending our children off to college, to a new world and expecting them to be safe. When a case like Brock Turners comes on I don’t feel safe sending my child off to college.”

How is it possible that we live in today’s society where everyone is supposed to be equal but things like unfair outcomes to sexual assault and rape are still not showing equality.

When I go to college, I do not want to feel scared about walking home for the library or I don’t want to have to watch my drink every second at a party. I certainly don’t want to be fearful of being taken advantage of on my own college campus and then not having the defendant do the time.

In order for a me to feel safe to go to walk the campus of my college, today’s society needs to recognize that sexually assaulting a women is wrong and will not be stood for. The punishment needs to fit the crime. Also parents need to teach their children to respect others and not teach them that one gender is better than another one.

Some many things make a college campus unsafe but if everyone realizes that is is wrong to sexually assault someone then one step at a time college campus’s will become a safer and more secure environment.

The road to a safer future starts with you.

Total Views: 959 ,

• Justice System Continues to Fail College Women

NEWS

Opportunity Knocks and SHS Students Can Answer

NEWS

Class Attendance on the Rise

OPINIONS

Dear Future Americans:

NEWS

SHS Implements Equalized Grading

ENTERTAINMENT

Maybelline and Covergirl Name First Male Ambassadors

NEWS

A Season of Giving

NEWS

Million Women March

Showcase

Poetry Club Fundraiser

Showcase

Poms Continues its Path to State

NEWS

Violence Erupts Over Pipeline Crisis in the Plains